How to make the best performing knives. A book for fans of knives, cutlers and cutlers. Not a manufacturing guide on knife making or blade machining, but an in-depth exploration of the effects of different steels, metallurgy, heat treatments and edge geometries on performance of the knife. This book provides ratings for toughness, wire retention and corrosion resistance for all popular knife steels. Micrographs of over 50 steels. Recommended heat treatments specific for each steel. And answers to questions like:
- 1) Does a thinner or thicker border last longer?
- 2) Which heat treatment leads to the best performance?
- 3) Are there any performance advantages in forging blades?
- 4) Should I use stainless steel or carbon steel?
All these and other questions are answered by a metallurgist who grew up in the knife industry.
- Publisher: Published independently ( July 16, 2020)
- Language: English
- Paperback: 450 pages span>
- ISBN-13: 979-8621848873
- Article weight: 860 g span>
- Dimensions: 17.78 x 2 , 59 x 25.4 cm